Fly screen / Insect Screen Installation on Windows & Doors
- Ensure the surface of the frame is sound i.e. paint is not flaking or bubbling.
- All porous surfaces must be sealed i.e. raw timber or concrete as they continually leach moisture and natural oils which hinder the glues performance.
- Clean the surface of your window/door frame to remove contaminants like dust, grease, oil.
- Use the alcohol swabs provided as a final wipe to ensure that the surfaces are spotless, allow to completely dry.
- New paint must be fully cured, follow manufacturers instructions for curing times. Paint vapours inhibit the strong performance of the glue.
- Install the self adhesive hook onto clean, dry surfaces only.
- Hook should be installed at room temp. of 18°C or higher for best results and in non-humid conditions. If temperature is lower warm frame and hook (with hair dryer or small fan heater) to increase the bond.
- Do not touch the adhesive with fingers and ensure your scissors are clean.
- Do not pre-cut hook and attach to the screen; attach directly to window frame, one side at a time and cut.
- Hold the hook on the sides between your thumb and forefinger, peel back release liner without touching the glue to about 25mm (1″) and place in position. Continue down one side of the frame peeling back liner as you go, cut with clean scissors once side is finished, apply pressure to activate the glue. Proceed with the other 3 sides of frame the same way.
- Apply pressure to installed hook using a Stanley knife handle or teaspoon, this activates the Pressure Sensitive Adhesive, pay special attention to the corners as these often get missed.
- Allow 24hrs. for the glue to cure thoroughly before installing your screen. We know that you are excited and want to install your Flexiscreens straight away but you will thank us for making you wait.
- The hook cannot be lifted and re-positioned if you make a mistake, start again with new hook tape ensuring that you have not left any traces of glue behind and the surface is spotless.
- Resistance to edge peeling can be improved by nipping or rounding the corner of hook.
- Mitre hook tape for curves and butt join for square corners, please see sketch below.
- All folds in your screens will fall out so don’t worry about any creases.
- If the corners lift this is an indication that the tape has been contaminated during installation or alternatively there hasn’t been enough pressure applied to the corners, this can be resolved with a drop of super glue.
- Don’t forget, the adhesive on the back of the hook is pressure sensitive so ensure that you apply pressure to the whole strip of hook. Pay extra attention to corners as they invariably get overlooked.
Your bug screens are folded, packed & posted direct to you ready for a simple DIY installation- average time for install should take around 10 minutes per screen, Freight Free Worldwide.
- Free Express Post is used for Australian customers
- Free Airmail for International customers
Lobster back for curved window frames – notice how the tape is cut on the angle.
Butt join for a square window frame.